This last week has been very busy for me in the sewing room, and I finally decided to stop and take pictures of what I've been working on, even though nothing is even near being finished. The first set of pictures show a couple of blocks from the Orange Peel Class I took recently at the Cloth and Bobbin. I chose Teal and Grey as my colors and sewed enough to audition color schemes before I piece them together. The "teeth" are scrappy and the two choices I have are to go with a toned down center, or to make the quilt completely scrappy and random looking.
First the more unified approach,
Then the scrappy look,
At the moment I am leaning toward limiting the color of the block centers to the light grey tones to give this quilt a very quiet, peaceful mood. I'll have to keep piecing a few more and do a mock up. Foundation piecing is slow going for me, but I love the intricacy in the designs when I am done.
After I spent a few days on the Orange Peel blocks, I thought about using similar foundation piecing on Laura's quilt for the borders. So I drafted a block and sewed up a few pieces to audition before I went much further. I think I like it. It kind of looks like a fence going around the garden.